From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:32:29 -0400
I totally agree with Bill on this.

The NE region of USA and Ontario had some really warm weather in late Dec/early Jan and from
various reports seems to have created havoc with hives in that region when harsh below zero
weather moved in during late Jan.  This seems to be a possible additional major loss on top of
CCD losses reported in fall.

I spoke with a board member of the MN Honey Producers Association today and he had no reports
of CCD in Mn to relate. He did indicate some members had mite related die offs last fall as
colonies were moved to CA or other winter holding areas. As I have mentioned before these
keepers have been elsewhere other then MN since last November FWIW.

I have yet to hear of one credible report that wintered over hives in northern regions had bees
exiting the hives in mid winter, and what was a healthy hive in fall is now empty in spring, this
would imply an expanded definition of CCD if it turns out that is the case.

Instead we hear of apperent winter losses attributued to CCD.

I have not seen in the media any interviews of keepers in the northern 1/3 of the USA claiming
they had a hive of bees in spring and then weeks later had dwindled to nothing and displayed CCD
symptoms. Makes you wonder if the "real" CCD losses have occurred and no new losses are
happening. Like all of the news reports that are credible are all in the past tense fall/early winter
and in warm climates.

I can't help but draw an analogy to Orson Wells 1938 radio broadcast and the power of
suggestion.  From a social standpoint we have a mania on our hands.

If the bee loss survery results indicate a small number of beekeepers nationwide affected but
collectively a huge number of hives decimated.  I would be wondering how real the prospect is
that we have a disorder that is randomly and equally affecting any beehive. From a statistics
standpoint data like that would be pointing toward the individual beekeeper practices (pollination,
migratory roation, treatments etc). This would be welcome news to the rest of the beekeepers if it
plays out this way.  I think we have some information to support that hypothesis already.