Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:32:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
I totally agree with Bill on this. 

The NE region of USA and Ontario had some really warm weather in late Dec/early Jan and from 
various reports seems to have created havoc with hives in that region when harsh below zero 
weather moved in during late Jan.  This seems to be a possible additional major loss on top of  
CCD losses reported in fall. 

I spoke with a board member of the MN Honey Producers Association today and he had no reports 
of CCD in Mn to relate. He did indicate some members had mite related die offs last fall as 
colonies were moved to CA or other winter holding areas. As I have mentioned before these 
keepers have been elsewhere other then MN since last November FWIW. 

I have yet to hear of one credible report that wintered over hives in northern regions had bees 
exiting the hives in mid winter, and what was a healthy hive in fall is now empty in spring, this 
would imply an expanded definition of CCD if it turns out that is the case. 

Instead we hear of apperent winter losses attributued to CCD. 

I have not seen in the media any interviews of keepers in the northern 1/3 of the USA claiming 
they had a hive of bees in spring and then weeks later had dwindled to nothing and displayed CCD 
symptoms. Makes you wonder if the "real" CCD losses have occurred and no new losses are 
happening. Like all of the news reports that are credible are all in the past tense fall/early winter 
and in warm climates. 

I can't help but draw an analogy to Orson Wells 1938 radio broadcast and the power of 
suggestion.  From a social standpoint we have a mania on our hands. 

If the bee loss survery results indicate a small number of beekeepers nationwide affected but 
collectively a huge number of hives decimated.  I would be wondering how real the prospect is 
that we have a disorder that is randomly and equally affecting any beehive. From a statistics 
standpoint data like that would be pointing toward the individual beekeeper practices (pollination, 
migratory roation, treatments etc). This would be welcome news to the rest of the beekeepers if it 
plays out this way.  I think we have some information to support that hypothesis already. 

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2