From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:49:05 -0600
> Comments
> were made to go search the extensive archives on any topic imaginable.
> Maybe I'm too new at these email lists but I feel I'm getting a bit
> overwhelmed when I have to go search some archives.

Well, that's the price you pay for belonging to a big high volume,
quality-controlled list and wishing to learn from it.  You do have to do your
homework.

Every gathering of people, other than a mob (and maybe even a mob), has its
rules of order and procedure.  When up to 1,000 people from all over the world
are all in an active meeting that has been in session for over 10 years, why do
so many newcomers expect to rush in, run up to the podium, grab the mic and ask
or talk about whatever is on their mind without finding out what is happening,
and what has been happening?

Quite a number of people misunderstand what BEE-L is and what its mission is.
They assume it is there to meet their personal need to chat and talk on -- often
without listening or thinking, or without bringing in anything new.

BEE-L actually exists to maintain high quality discussion and to concurrently
build a knowledge base that is of useable size and quality.  The real time
answer-back aspect is important, but must be secondary to the prime objectives.
The majority of subscribers never post, but read what is posted and they are the
real audience here.  To them silence is a good thing and a huge volume of
chatter is a nuisance.  They must be respected and protected from those who wish
simply to chat.

BEE-L does not wish to become like CB radio for beekeepers where quality and
content is driven by those whose time is worth least and the standard of debate
is determined by the lowest common denominator.  There are other bee lists and a
large group on USENET where there are no constraints and people can and do post
any old thing they like.  If you go there, you'll see that they do.  If you can
stand it, you'll have found a home.  If you can't, then maybe you get my point.

*All* input on this list is very much appreciated and carefully considered,
however, it is not reasonable to expect 800 list members to wade through tons of
personal exchanges and pointless repetition because one or two people are
unwilling to do a little work or are bored or lonesome and want to chat.

For whatever reasons, it seems some people have plenty of time to write long and
uninformed questions and expect others to take the time to explain things at
their level, while, at the same instant, they claim not to have the time to do a
simple search.  Thus, the answers they get are often of similar quality from
people who are similarly uninformed and feel that a guess is good enough.
Guesses, unless based on actual experience or study, are not good enough for
this list.

If you do not like sci.agriculture.beekeeping, then being disciplined and doing
your homework is the price you pay for participating in a list of BEE-L's
quality.  A number of people are working in the background to keep the quality
up.  This list is not run without some appreciable personal cost to a number of
selfless and nameless people who ask for no credit.  Participating in BEE-L is
not a right, it is a privilege -- one that is freely given.

No one is forced to post to BEE-L.  BEE-L is a privately owned list which is
open to anyone.  Those who choose to subscribe must understand that their
writing must meet certain standards of interest, content and format or be
rejected, often without comment.  Those who subscribe depend on the moderators
to screen out self-serving junk and they do.  I also expect that the standard
will be raised as time passes and now that alternate discussion areas are
available.

> Maybe I'm on the wrong kind of list? ...I miss the personal stuff a bit that
for
> example tells why a person is a beekeeper and why in their area he or she
> does whatever he or she feels is right to do.

Beats me.  I previously recommended sci.agriculture.beekeeping to you, and to me
sci.agriculture.beekeeping appears to already be exactly what you seem to be
wanting BEE-L to become. Have you been to sci.agriculture.beekeeping ?
'Feelings' are big there.

I also know that -- in addition to this list -- you are also on another list
that appears to be exactly the type of list you seem to want, so I don't quite
understand what you are expecting.

allen

-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.