Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 10:06:23 -0500
On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 06:28:47PM -0400, Barry Sergeant wrote:
> By sheer co-incidence, or luck, I was checking out a hive with an
> extremely valuable queen and found her balled; badly balled. I placed
> her in a cage with five young bees and removed her. She had not been
> injured. Notwithstanding the cause of the balling (most likely: drifting; I
> am busy moving colonies around the countryside) the challenge here
> is reintroduction. After two hours, she went back into the (roaring) hive
> in the cage suspended by wire between two populous brood frames.
> Tomorrow, I plan to place her in a 10cm by 10cm cage made from
> metal mosquito wire. This cage is 15mm deep; 5mm will be sunk into
> wax of cleaned cells, ready for eggs. She will be installed with a few
> young bees in the cage. The idea is that she will be more readily
> re-accepted by the colony if she is laying eggs. If all works out, she will
> be released after three to four days. Is this methodology OK? I simply
> CANNOT lose this queen.

I would think a NUC introduction would be safer. Since you already have the
queen you cannot make the NUC up in advance. My thoughts are this:

I would add a hive body above the current bodies and move some frames of brood up
there. Put a queen excluder under this body just in case there is a virgin or
other queen running around in the hive. Let a population of nurse bees get up into
the brood. Now leave the excluder in place and isolate the upper body with newspaper.
Put the cage into the upper area. I would even put a feeder on the hive as a well
fed hive tends to take queens better.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net