From:
"Helpdesk, Wvnet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1993 15:59:36 EDT
A co-worker has honeybees in a wall of her farm house.  Last year she noticed
them and decided to leave them alone as they never bothered her.  They are at
the second story level.  This past Sunday however, she was attacked by honey
bees.  She was stung up to 20 times in the face, head and neck, arms...

After things settled down a bit her husband looked up at the hive.
He observed that the bee were in combat at the two entrance holes.  And
today, two days later, they still are in combat.

I asked her to bring in one of the dead bees, wanting to confirm that
she was indeed attacked by honeybees.  Yes, it is a honeybee.  It is not
unusually dark or large.  In fact it is a small bee..perhaps because it
is wild.

At any rate, I am considering that the original hive is being robbed.
Perhaps the combat carried off into the yard, and she was an unlucky
participant.  I find it hard to think it was an outright attack of her
by honeybees.

Comments?  Also I thought only weak hives got robbed.  I don't think
that the hive in the farmhouse is weak..they seldom are.

Barbara Fallon