From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:16:33 -0500
Hi Guys,

I've experienced the same kind of bee trouble in the early 70's before mites
and beetles, treatments, etc. I'd inspect a beeyard in the late spring. It
would be a boomer. Returning 3 days later, all the bees would be gone with
only a few cups of young bees, lots of honey and brood, and the occasional
queen left in the hives. A yard would be left with a hive or two of
unaffected bees.

There wouldn't be any evidence of pesticide poisoning as no dead bees would
be found in the yard or in the hives. And this occurred before any pesticide
were applied to the area crops.

At the time, we called this disappearing disease. It was devastating when,
at its height. I lost about 400 colonies per week. Other beekeepers
experienced the same. Most of the losses occurred in the Western states for
a few years and then the disappearing disease disappeared.

Once the dandelions starting blooming the disease abated.

It was attributed by researchers at the Laramie Bee Lab to an influx of
African genetics.

Writing about this on beesource, Loggermike, a NE California beekeeper wrote:

"I remember being told about this in the 70s by a Chico,Ca. beekeep who
called it 'fly away'. He said it was due to African genes and the bees would
fly out in cool weather never to return. They had to do 100% requeening to
get rid of that strain. No personal experience with that, just what I was told."

Regards
Dennis
Thinking maybe this could be another clue to this mystery