From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:17:32 -0500
Hello Peter & All,

>, as I have with my AM Capensis bees,

Capensis remains very much of interest to me. What can you share with us as
to your observations about the little black bee Capensis.

Did you keep "Scuts" at one time? My friends in SA say the Scuts and the
capensis usually stay true to the Ruttner color classification and you do
not normally see the mixed color of the U.S. AHB. Do you agree?

We do not see the crayon "yellow" color on our AHB. Many are close to the
black of capensis but still with distinct strips. Comments?

One of the first articles on AHB was in the 1976 vol. 149 No. 4 issue of
National Geographic Entitled "Will Brazil's Fiery Bees Reach the U.S.?". A
very honest look at AHB.

I have seen over the last 40 years of keeping bees myself European bees on
very very rare occasions with the aggressive genes AHB is noted for. I have
seen European bees so hot smoke only mad the bees mad.
OR
The bees simply did not mellow to the smoke and went into an all out defense
of the hive once disturbed..

I am often asked about AHB. I always caution people about swarms in areas of
AHB.  In the U.S. you can not tell the difference by looking except AHB
swarms will greet you with stings many times before you ever approach the
swarm and also while the swarm is  flying. Is the  same with your "Scut"
swarms? Capensis?

I guess enough questions. I don't want to see you return to lurking Peter
without answering at least a few questions on the mysterious bees you keep.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri