From:
Alden Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:32:17 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Winter Bees

> I've read/heard slatted racks reduce swarming but I have not seen any
> comparisons with regular colonies.
>
> Waldemar

Waldermar,
    Slated racks reduce robbing tremendously and also make it easier to
screens up hives for pollination. The principal involved is that the actual
entrance to the hive, as far as the bee is concerned is the slats, some
distance from the conventional entrance. Robbing bees do not care to enter
an enclosed space before being confronted by guards. I go a step further as
far as robbing is concerned, a folded piece of 1/2" hardware cloth wedged in
the entrance essentially stops it as well as keeping out mice in winter. No
need for entrance reducers in winter either.

Alden Marshall
Hudson, NH