From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:35:16 -0400
James Fischer wrote:

> > It absorbs moisture from the hive but also dries
>
> So it "wicks" moisture from the bottom and inner surface(s) to the
> upper and outer?  And it never reverses the process, and never
> acts as a humidity "trap"?

It is above the inner cover so the only moisture it gets is that coming
up through the inner cover hole. So the moisture it takes off is that in
the air rising through the inner cover hole. The combination of adequate
ventilation and the board insures that the hive is moisture free

> How does one assure that this wet area does not drip down on the
> bees?  If it did, how would one notice?

I check it in the late winter and it is usually only moist right over
the hole. Also from observations by our expert State Bee Inspector who
uses them. He wraps and has more moisture than I encounter. The moisture
wicks through the board and it never gets completely saturated. My area
is usually softball sized while his is a bit larger. You can see the
water stains and how far it progresses during the winter.

It does act as a water source for the bees and they do use it. You might
be able to get through the winter without it, but based on my
experience, I will continue to use it. It is cheap, easy and works here
in Maine.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME