From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:54:18 EST
     Friday, we hived a nice swarm hanging in a blooming plum tree. It wasn't
a large one, but appeared healthy. I was particularly interested in it,
because I know of no kept bees within two or three miles, and swarms don't
usually travel far, before they first pitch. A close visual inspection in
bright sunshine revealed no varroa mites.

    They had been there a couple days before being discovered, and were quite
nervous. I had fears of losing them, just as we attempted to hive them. There
were a lot of dancing scouts, so they were apparently in the process of
selecting a home.

    They have now spent two nights in their new home, so I have greater hopes
of keeping them. Once a swarm has "made up its mind" on a home, they often
will leave the hive anyway.

     When they have established brood, I will check again for varroa. If there
is no sign of it, I will not treat them, until I see evidence of varroa. All
the wild swarms I have ever gotten have eventually succumbed to varroa, though
one that I thought showed promise, was lost due to a drone layer. That one
lived a year. Another which lived a year and a half, and was extremely
productive during its first year, broke down in late spring to a heavy varroa
infestation.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm