From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 1994 19:49:45 +0100
Dave Green writes:
>   Unless you are really trying to shed some surplus money (you could send
> some this way), an extractor is a poor purchase, until you get up over a
> hundred hives, and I'm not so sure even then.

I don't have anywhere near 100 hives and can easily hire an extractor
from my beekeeping association but I still wouldn't be without my extractor.
It's small, old and cost me 40 pounds ($60).  Since it's second hand it's
not really depreciating now so I could probably sell it for more or less
what I paid for it.  It's worth 40 pounds to be able to extract when it's
convenient to me (and of course I usually want to extract when everyone
else does.)

>   There's a beekeeper version of Murphy's law. "Any honey spill, no matter
> how small, is enough to cover the whole kitchen floor."

Honey pours quite silently.  It can be spilling on the floor while you're
in same the room and you won't hear a thing!

> And that's not
> speaking of wax - a prescription for divorce.

My wife's pet hate is propolis on the bed sheets!  I try to get it all
off my hands (I assume that's how it's transferred) but some always gets
there.  By the way, alchol shifts it quite easily.

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 5104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301