From:
LORNE CROZIER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 16:27:02 AST
I have recently had a request for help from a local greenhouse
grower.  This operator uses bumble bee colonies to pollinate his
tomato and cucumber crops.  He ahs been using these for about four
years now and has had good success until recently.  The colonies that
he purchased in 1998 do not seem to be anxious to leave their hives
to work the crops.  As a result  his pollination rate is low.

I would apprectiate any suggestions as to what  may be the cause of
the problem, and any practical solutions.

Many Thanks!

Lorne Crozier
Mr. Lorne M. Crozier
Extension Entomologist, Berry Crops & Vegetables
Nova Scotia Dept. Agriculture & Marketing
e-mail [log in to unmask]
Phone 902-893-6548
Fax   902-893-0244