From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:04:28 -0500
allen dick wrote:
> I take it that we are pretty well in agreement, then, Bill.

Yes, but the whole "white bread" story is a bit overblown. If you check
nutrients and the like the differences are not as great as many would
like us to believe. Classic is the contention that Wonder Bread has a
high glycemic index while whole wheat does not. The difference is WW  is
7 and WB is 10, both of which are low compared to most foods. You can
play that game with just about any two foods.

> An amazing phenomenon, seen in organisations (and by extension,
> society at large) is that the members of any organisation seldom see
> (or acknowledge, at least) any problem they cannot *profitably* solve
> with some certainty, or any problem that is not likely to be accepted
> and acknowledged by their superiors.  To do so would be too dangerous
> to the organisation or their own tenure.
They go where the money is.

> But we shouldn't kid ourselves, most of what we 'know' about
> everything is wrong, or just part of the story.
A bit over the top, but has the germ of truth. We are products of our
beliefs, not necessarily of truth. If we do not allow other to challenge
what we believe, then we are fools. Iron sharpens iron.

> The epidemic of obesity and diabetes is here, and the culprits are
> right under our noses, except we are not allowed to see them.  The
> Internet is changing that.
Actually, the problem is being addressed. It is the culprit that has
only recently been found in research, since that does take time. It all
deals with human metabolism and fructose vs. sucrose. We handle the
white death (sugar not white bread) as a sugar but HFCS more like a fat.
That was not clearly understood until recently when the obesity problem
became more apparent. Before it was all on amounts of snack food, then
colas but it was always metabolism. BTW, Mexico still uses sucrose to
make Coke and there is a flourishing over the border trade of it to SW
US. There are culprits here and they are both the sugar and corn
lobbies. If we had open border for sugar, it would be cheap. But a lot
of farmers would be out of jobs. Hawaii has just about gone out of the
sugar business since the land is much more profitable with dwellings on
it than sugar cane. Pineapples are next on the list. My oldest son has a
home on an ex-pineapple field.

> Some are trying, and whether they are right or wrong at this point in
> their efforts, I salute them!
I have a problem with this when agendas are involved. Reading the
reviews on the book was interesting mainly in the solution to the
problem. Not the problem.

> Let's dare to ask the right questions.
I prefer right answers :)

> allen
Now the rest of the story. Allen and I have crossed swords on this list,
but we have more often been in agreement. What most do not know is Allen
was the one who approved all my posts in opposition to his approach to
the problem of off topic items on the Bee List. He did not keep the list
to himself so only his view prevailed, but allowed dissent. Another
reason I enjoy this list. We have exceptional moderators.

If you wonder how I know it was Allen who approved my posts, the method
is in the archives.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine