From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:53:17 -0500
> However, I do run close to 1000 hives, moved many times, and set near
> other
> commercial beekeepers, and the answer to Bob's question is economics.

One problem I see is many of my friends buy the latest trend in varroa
tolerant lines (Randy?)and still treat (some-4 times a year.) Many of those
lines have serious production issues for commercial beekeeping.

I can see introduction of genes* might* ( or might not) be a good thing but
if you are still going to treat why waste the money(Randy?).

Randy did an earlier post saying he used the formic strips on the strong
hives and api guard on the weaker hives . Are you getting your money out of
your VSH genetics?

When a bee comes along which is truly varroa tolerant and has all the traits
the bees we normally use  then convert your hives as most commercial
beekeepers today requeen all their hives at least once a year.
Many at least twice.

How many VSH daughters get put to the hive tool.

Fuzzy economics if you ask me.

I looked at two hives of Glenn apiaries VSH bees in Florida awhile back .
The northern beekeeper wanted me to see his untreated VSH breeders, He was
shocked when we found one hive dead and the other on about three frames of
bees with a spotty brood pattern.

I have other observations on VSH bees but one should buy and test yourself.

Varroa tolerance at the loss of productivity when you plan on treating
anyway is fuzzy economics.

I do not use tactic and from my observation mostly a California method.

bob