Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2019 19:34:31 -0400
> While we're at it, what is a better queen?

the study you cited says

> high quality queens with high reproductive potential produce colonies that exhibit high growth and survival

I think that's a pretty good summary. One wants colonies that build up fast, become large, produce, and survive. Despite what has been asserted about very large colonies being prey to varroa, according to work at Penn State (and elsewhere), the best plan for wintering is to have large colonies with a lot of honey.

Like Gene said, there will be trade offs. A varroa resistant bee may produce smaller, more efficient colonies but less honey and might not overwinter well in a cold climate. A very productive bee may produce large colonies, lots of honey, but be plagued by rapid varroa buildup. Personally, I would rather have the latter problem than the former. To each, their own.

PLB