Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:15:14 GMT
Peter,

>> My take on this statement is different.
>Mine too. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Absolutely right.  There is no "one size fits all" diet for all people.

>One man's poison is another's recreational drug. Context!

I am afraid, this goes beyond context.  There is a school of thought that says your genes determine your individual characteristics and your needs.  Your dietetic needs, based on your genetic make-up, are supposedly indicated by your blood type.  Check out:

http://www.dadamo.com/

Blood type O is said to be the oldest - that of the hunter gathers-gatherers.  Type O's are said to have extra stomach acid for effective break-down of meats but often are grain protein (gluten) intolerant (celiac disease) since this type evolved before agriculture provided vast amounts of grain.  Two of my co-workers with celiac disease turned out to be type Os.

I checked my blood type, my wife's, and that of my closest relatives and the descriptions, down to the personality, are very close matches.  It even explained my two boys' vastly different food tastes at the dinner table!  At a minimum, I find this school of thought very intriguing.  As far as I know, there is no mainstream science support for this.

Waldemar

PS. In Japan, blood typing is often used for date matching and job interviews.