From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:45:03 -0600
Peter said:
However, if it doesn't work I think people should be clear about this.

Every chemical put on the market to control varroa works. The problem I am
trying to point out is you can not claim a high effacy for products which
are temperature  and humidity dependent in every situation.

From memory I believe that the Thymol product tested in Georgia by Delaplane
and Ellias and results published in the American Bee Journal had an control
of  67%.

While Vita-Europe claimed control to be in the 90% plus range.

Delaplane and Ellias could have gotten a higher control  (and in my opinion
they should have considering the time of year of treatment) or if the
testing was done  with a thymol product   in October in Minnesota I would
expect a lower than 67% control.

If you are going to choose a temperature and humidity dependent treatment
then the choice of the rest of the  world has been so far formic acid.

Dr. Shiminuki (U.S.D.A. Beltsville ret.) was very aware of thymol , FGMO
,etc. but decided on   formic acid as the best choice.

Beekeeper safety was his main concern which is why he decided on  a  gel
pack as the delivery method.

The American Beekeeping Federation  made a resolution (K.C. 2003)  to press
for U.S. registration of formic acid gel and FORMIC ACID LIQUID.

www.mitegone.com says at the website:
Because formic acid liquid does not have a specific label use  similar to
food grade mineral oil ( used to kill varroa in hives)and baking soda (used
to kill ants) the use of formic acid in a bee hive is a homeopathic method
of treating varroa and does not need registration in the U.S.

I was amazed at the concern for SAFETY by Mitegone. I believe mitegone has
done an excellent job of showing safe use of liquid formic acid. All sellers
of temperature and humidity dependent products should take a cue from
Mitegone and give each buyer of  thymol or formic acid products safe use and
temperature/humidity instructions.

Peter said:
Thymol is known to be absorbed into the honey and combs and give off a very
rank odor.

Very true while formic acid  is found already in honey and many other food
products ( one reason why those seeking to sell *organic honey* want to see
the use of formic acid made a reality). Formic acid ( FA)  gives off a
strong odor also as those which used the FA gel already realize. The fumes
from both thymol and FA products should be avoided.

Bob

Ps. We have been spoiled around the world by 98% pesticide strips.

 Now the scenario changes and only those beekeepers willing to change to
methods presented by the researchers will survive.

 Of course there will always (hopefully) be those  beekeepers which will
continue to replace the deadouts from varroa every two years with packages.
Those beekeepers not treating and replacing support an industry needing
support. Some of those beekeepers this year had their hives started from
packages last spring die in late fall due to a high infestation of varroa on
arrival due to failures of a few (not all) packages sellers varroa control
programs failing (reported at our bee assn. meeting by several ).

BEE-L subscribers are reminded to read and follow the
guidelines for posting, which are available online at:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm