Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:03:10 EDT
Hello Sue,
Sue was my mother's name, but she died almost 10 years ago at age 99, and I
still
miss her a great deal.  It is a fine name.

I don't treat for tracheal mite on July 1st - I treat with menthol on August
15th
near Washington, DC.  I don't know where you are, so your date might be
before or after August 15th.  On July 1st, I perform a "sticky board" test
for Varroa mites.

Diseases and pests are basically NEVER in the super area, but almost always
associated with the BROOD.  Hence, you put Apistan strips in the area that
has BROOD, 1 strip for each 5 frames that have brood in them. Again, your
location determines the best date.  Oct 1st is the best for near Washington,
DC, but certainly not the best date for Boston in the North or Atlanta in the
South.  You want to have
Apistan in a colony for 6-8 weeks when the queen has greatly reduced her
laying of eggs or completely stopped; and this varies dramatically with the
temperature of YOUR LOCATION.

TEMPERATURE is VERY IMPORTANT in determining WHEN to treat with either
MENTHOL or APISTAN, or ANYTHING for that matter.  Pay attention to
temperature!

If I knew where your bees are located, I could give you better advice.

I hope I have helped.

George Imirie
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Past President of Maryland State Beekeepers Assn.
Beginning my 70th year of beekeeping in Maryland and Virginia
Author of George's PINK PAGES