From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:08:51 -0400
Hi Brad,

> 1.  Are summer splits a good or bad idea?
This is a broader question than you realize.  First, a verry common
omission is you did not tell us where you are located!

That issue aside, speaking from a yankee's point of view (I'm in
upstate New York) I say summer splits can be a good idea in most
years, but I'll never be able to tell you if it's a good idea this year
until next year.  If this winter is anything like last winter, I'd advise
against it.  But in most years a summer split will be a great hive next
spring, provided it has ample time to build up, sets in good stores,
raises a few generations of bees that will be your overwinter bees,
goes into winter in good health, receives sufficient winter protection,
has enough warm cleansing flight days and receives proper beekeeper
attention if required during winter (feeding if stores run low).  If your
beekeeping skills are developed enough to address all these issues (and
I've probably missed a few), then yes, by all means try a summer split.

> 2.  When I requeen the split, is it better to go with an Italian or
> Carniolan.

Italians will continue to raise brood long into the fall.  They will
not spend a lot of energy in winter preparations.  You will have a
large population of bees, but that large population may not be well
prepared to overwinter, and a large population will have greated
resource needs (stored pollen and honey) during the winter as compared
to a smaller, better prepared population of Carniolans.  Again, from a
yankee's point of view I recommend the Carniolans.  More specifically, New
World Carniolans (check Sue Cobey's site for recommender breeders).

I've had mixed success with summer splits.  Most seasons they work well.
Some winters they do not.  I've had summer nucs build up so quickly that
they swarmed in September, and they still survived the winter in great
shape the following spring.  I've had summer nucs look great in the fall
and be duds in the spring.  This isn't a one size fits all question, and is
certainly not a one size fits all answer.

Regardless of the success or failure of your summer split, the attempt
will be a learning experience!  However, if you're new to the craft (I don't
know why I got that idea, forgive me if I'm falsely assuming) you may be
better off paying attention to your hives as they are, without trying to
push
them.  Some beekeepers in the north use established hives as stands for the
summer splits they are trying to get through the winter.  You wrote you
have two hives.  Splitting them will not leave you the option of wintering
the splits atop established hives.

Thanks for the question, it's a good one.  I'm sure others will have lots to
offer!

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!