From:
jimmy odom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:31:09 -0400
Hello Bee-L'ers

I receive swarm calls from Charlotte International Airport from time
to time.   I've had 3 calls this year, with the latest one yesterday
8/23.  The folks at the airport ask if the bees could be africanized.
 The docilicity (sp) of the bees always indicate to me that they are
not as they remain calm during the collection.  My question:: if   a
swarm of Afr/bees were to collect in the wheel well of an airliner
bound from central America to the US, could they survive in the wheel
well at 40,000 ft.

   Yesterday's swarm, (on the tarmac, and gathered on the hitch of a
tug) was really calm, as I take a hive body with old brood comb, and
take a frame and slightly press it against the swarm and the bees
immediately climb on board and then I place the frame in the hive body
and repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times and at the same time shake some
of them onto the landing board.  Soon the ones on the landing board
begin fanning and I can then begin brushing the last of them of and
into the air.  Once the majority of the girls are in the box, then we
move the tug,  tape off an area around the hive and I return after
dark to close them up and take them to one of my apiaries.

thanks to all Bee-Ler's for sharing knowledge.

jimmy odom
charlotte, nc