From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:53:43 +0100
In article <000901c38053$ac644840$57a59bd0@BusyBeeAcres>, Bob Harrison
<[log in to unmask]> writes
> Out of shape is a dead give away of a commercial beekeeper which spends all
>his time in the office on the phone or arranging schedules and does little
>of the actual bee work himself.

I guess that's me sacked then Bob, as I am 'slightly' on the tubby side.
<G>

I work all day at the bees too, doing most of the technical stuff, and a
fair amount of the lifting too. Unfortunately the trucks seem to know
their own way into all the best fast food establishments in our bee
areas.

Besides, a firm stomach is a useful 'third hand' at times when working
and you need to give things that extra little shove. (Perhaps I should
have thought of sumo as a career option.)

Seriously though, Health and Safety regulations in Europe are a real
problem, as they now specify maximum weights it is allowed to ask
someone to lift from a variety of positions and outreaches. No full
supers, even shallow ones, come within the parameters set.

Fortunately most people are realistic about this, and know what needs to
be done and get on with it. Commercial honey production in our country
would be very difficult under full compliance with the rules.

Some on the other hand trade on it. We had one ex-soldier here a couple
of years back who complained half an hour into his first day that the
boxes were too heavy and gave him a sore back. It was his 5th job in the
year since he came out of the forces. Imagine his attitude when a young
girl of 14 (small and skinny too!) on for a couple of hours in the
evening just got on with it and hefted them around no bother. He packed
it in the next day. Turns out that a day and a half was the longest he
had worked since he came out of the army, and his previous two jobs had
lasted less than an hour. However, it fulfilled his duty to find work
and meant he could continue to get his weekly benefit cheque.

Another produced a sick note after one day. Claimed he had a bad back
from the lifting we asked him to do. The guy was a keep fit fanatic and
body builder and we thought we had a good strong guy on board. His claim
failed because he was spotted at the gym exercising with weights whilst
supposedly off sick with a bad back. Another doctor (a friend)
translated the Latin term on his sick note for me. It said he was
'tired', and not injured as he claimed. You have to watch out as there
are chancers everywhere.

You have to watch your staff, to see they are lifting correctly with the
legs instead of the back, and not doing anything stupid. Display all the
correct notices, and make sure you have given instruction (even if you
think it insulting to their intelligence, as it could save you a law
suit later) as to what is required and what is NOT required, and get
them to SIGN that they have had the instruction. I especially emphasise
that we are not amused by young guys trying to show how strong and able
they are. (no heroics, use the available help and follow the methods
directed)
If lifting something is a struggle then two of them take an end each
before anything bad happens.

Complex subject, with genuine practical concerns for any commercial
operator.

Murray

--
Murray McGregor