From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:19:31 -0400
Al wrote:
lots of snips
> 1) Screened bottom boards. This puts a slow, steady drain on the mites
> population. A constant 5-10% killing of the adult mite population that will
> be very hard for the mites to develop resistance against.

There is research going on using smoke to get mite drop. The
combination of screened bottom boards and smoke with 90 to 100%
mite drop gives a classic, non lethal and fairly benign solution
to varroa. So, get a smoke that gives near 100% mite drop with no
harm to the bees in combination with a screened bottom board and
you have a quick, easy, affordable solution to varroa that
matches the efficacy of any pesticide. And, compared to putting
strips in and out of hives, it is not labor intensive!
I have heard that sumac smoke is a good varroa dropper.
So, develop a screened bottom board with an insert for winter,
grind up sumac and sell it as a smoker additive and you have
built the better mousetrap and will be rich beyond measure, or
until everyone else builds their own and picks the sumac for
free.
I'm working on it.
Bill T
Bath, ME