Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 11:11:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
>It is often assumed among laypersons that inbreeding of organisms is inevitably negative and hybridization always produces increased vigor. Not the case. In fact, our understanding of the genetic underpinnings of fitness is not particularly strong, especially in honey bees. It is currently thought that "diversity" is beneficial, but obviously there is more to it than that.

Thanks for that Peter.  That is something we should all put up on our wall.  

The implications are very important to anyone who raises bees and expects that what is observed in one generation will be expressed in the next. 

It applies any time we bring in breeding stock and expect predicable results.  I recall Dean was implying that bringing in a VSH queen or two might not be the answer it might seem to be on the surface.   That discussion was somewhat truncated, so maybe it will revive now.  We have talked about "mongrels", and also how observers have been surprised in how distantly related strains in adjoining yards do or do not mix...

Obviously there is far more to this than I am qualified to relate and to do so would take more time than I have at hand.  

At any rate, thanks again, and if anyone feels qualified to comment further or can add more references, I will be most interested. 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2