From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:53:57 -0500
Greetings

I would like to say one thing apropos to the recent discussions. To
me, it makes no difference if so and so is a commercial beekeeper or
not. I am not, and I view my role as an educator. I have been a
commercial beekeeper, among many other things, and commercial
beekeepers, as a whole, are no better nor worse than any other
beekeepers.

What matters to me as an educator is this: it really bothers me when
somebody takes something I said and does it, and fails. I want people
to succeed. Therefore, I preface everything I say with the warning
that beekeeping is local, one size does NOT fit all, your actual
mileage may differ, find out what works for you.

On the other hand, I see beekeeping, and knowledge in general, as a
synthesis of what we know: which includes what we thought was right
and discarded. We must never forget the mistakes of the past, but
never cling to the outmoded. We can either barge into the future, or
get dragged their, but we are going there nonetheless.

'Nuff said. Thanks to all of you who wrote and asked for my article. I
have decided to post all three parts as well as some stuff by Charlie
Mraz and Leslie Bailey at:

http://groups.google.com/group/upstate-new-york-beekeeping