From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:06:11 -0400
At 04:23 AM 7/23/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Over the years, I've had several employees experience joint pain and problems
>walking after being stung in the ankles or feet.  I can't recall having
>any such
>problem myself, and I usually wear sandals while working bees, so I do
>occasionally get stung.
>
>Does anyone know what it is about ankles that seems to make them especially
>sensitive, or does anyone have any insight into this?
>
>allen

I think it depends on the individual.  I personally experience very little
pain
and almost no swelling/itching when stung in the ankles.  I tend to get stung
most on the ankles because of the sweat and bees getting caught between
the tongue of the shoe or cuffs of my pants or suit.  On most of my body
the reaction is pretty minor (less of a bother than a mosquito bite, but my
hands
and face (cheeks, eyes, but not forhead, scalp, neck, etc) swell up like
balloons
and ache for two days.  Consequently, I always wear gloves and veil, but often
wear shorts and a t-shirt when doing minor tasks.

-Tim