Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:22:12 -0400
 >What I have been

told is that assessors will allow 3/4 acre of ag for every colony of bees on
the property.  (This allotment only makes sense if you are thinking as
bureaucrats do.)
Larry Krengel

             *********

Without doing that math, why is this not a good catch-all number?
Here's the math I did for it. Comments, appreciated.

An acre is 43,560 sq ft. A sq mile is 27,878,400 sq ft.
If they fly 2 miles, quadriple that figure. 111,513,600 sq ft.
3/4 acre is 32670 sq ft.

That comes to ~3413 hives per a 2x2 mile area.

Or... 853 hives, if bees only fly ONE mile, in a 2x2 mile area,
Or... 213 per sq mile.

I read of beeks putting 30 to 1340 colonies ~"per given area..."
How far they space them seems to be a cpl miles, as a very rough
rule of thumb.

BillSF9c