From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:51:09 -0400
>The Apinovar SBB is recommended by the manufacturer as a delivery system for formic:    >http://www.apinovar.com/articles/flash.en.html

Sure, it is on his website.  However, if you go to ordering information, there is only one website listed in North America (the rest are just emails), and it is not working.  So, I have no idea what the board even costs per unit or to ship into the US.  Also, from a functional perspective:

1) The apinovar tray is made of wood, and is, I assume (but could be wrong), all pine.  Sliding wood on wood often sticks, especially in humid weather.  The plastic trays I am using slide easily in all weather and have a finger grip for easy removal.  And, pine should be painted.  The boards I am using are cypress and do not need paint.

2) The apinovar tray removes from the side.  The ones I use remove from the rear, and I prefer that to maximize distance to the front entrance and curious bees, especially when I do spot checks without wearing any protective gear.

Don't get me wrong.  The board at apinovar may be fantastic, and I would have liked to support an entrepreneur.  But, I did not see a US source or a price on the website, so I could not even test it.  As a result I found an alternative.  I am very happy with the SBBs I am using now.  I like them so much I went ahead and replaced another SBB/tray set up I was using on half of my hives that, while perfectly functional, was not nearly as user friendly (trays tended to collect rain water unless pushed in far enough to be covered, but then could only be removed by prying out with a hive tool).  This is just a suggestion.  More power to anyone, who can get their hands on the apinovar SBB.

Bill
Claremont, NH
+43° 21’  -72° 23’
+43.35     -72.38