From:
Garrett M Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 17:18:58 -0500
Hi to all
I really must agree with Tim on this issue.  I have been around
agriculture and livestock for all my life.  Antibiotics, pesticides,
herbicides, ect. ie.chemicals have always been apart of my life.  I have
been trained  by my father and others to handle with care and to be very
careful to follow the label.  For me it is a way of life.  Yes there
health risks which we do our best to keep to a minimum by using proper
application techniques, but then life is all risk and we will all die one
day.  If we want to maintain our standard of living as we know it to day
this is a risk that must be excepted.  Now to the foreseeable future.  If
we see organic agriculture continue to grow in the future, we will also
see skyrocketing food prices.  Which will either make it financial harder
to get the food we want and in some cases need, or it will force our
wages up.  This will cause the rise in other prices, and so the
inflationary cycle begins again.  It is every persons responsibility to
use chemicals properly and only according to it's labeled usage.  For
most off those in agriculture it is a necessary evil.
Garrett Martin