From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 07:09:13 -0700
> >I had read that trials of antivirals were happening this summer in the USA
> and in Israel.  Anyone hear how they're turning out?

Rob, Beeologics has been running trials for a few years, in several
countries.  I was the Principal Investigator for the California trial last
winter, and am currently setting up a second trial for this winter.

To their credit, Beeologics approached me and the monitor for the trial, Dr.
Eric Mussen, due to our previously expressed skepticism about the efficacy
of the product, after reviewing the data from initial trials.

After running the trial, I can state that the product appears to be
effective.  The results of the 2008 trial will soon be published in PLoS
Pathogens.  I have been writing about the results of the 2009/2010 trials in
ABJ.

Results indicate that a monthly treatment is better than a weekly
treatment.  In the trial, the colonies were inoculated with a strong virus
cocktail challenge, and the majority suffered from CCD-like "symptoms."  It
remains to be determined how effective the product will be in a more
"normal" situation.

The company just received permission to supply the product on an
experimental basis to beekeepers in the U.S.  Beeologics is currently
seeking a few large commercial beekeepers who wish to try the product this
winter.  If there are any on the List who fit the description, you may
contact Nitzan Paldi directly  <[log in to unmask]>

Beeologics has also developed a similar product that actually suppressed
Nosema ceranae, and another product that suppresses several viruses at
once.

Beekeepers may soon have at their disposal, from Beeologics, one or more
products that function much as a (killed) vaccine does in humans--something
that initiates the natural immune response to confer immunity to a pathogen.

Disclaimer:  I am not a pitchman for the product, and have no financial
interest in the company.  I'm as curious as anyone to see how the product
works in "real life" situations.

Randy Oliver