From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:03:05 -0400
Jim said and asked "So it "wicks" moisture from the bottom and inner surface(s) to the
upper and outer?  And it never reverses the process, and never
acts as a humidity "trap"?

How does one assure that this wet area does not drip down on the
bees?  If it did, how would one notice?"

As I recently reported, many of the old-timer commercial beekeepers in this area use these boards during the winter and in the spring they come out so wet they can almost have moisture squeezed out of them.  Yet, I have never seen an instance where the moisture was released on top of the bees.

HOWEVER, it is less expensive to forgo the use of the homosote boards and instead provide a generous (3/8") upper entrance to just release the moisture from the hive.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps