Date:
Mon, 28 May 2018 07:06:54 -0400

> Your sticky board readings are certainly a positive indication and I agree
> that OAV is perhaps the best tool in our box right now. I would caution
> that early season sticky's are notoriously inaccurate as nearly all mites
> will be in capped brood. Opening some drone cells carefully is in my
> opinion the best early season indicator. Might be worth a look. Thanks for
> the data and perseverance.

Continuing the saga... I did a full inspection of the hives a week ago, and
opened about 30 drone cells and no varroa. Before OAV I would expect at
least one at this time. So, it appears that the sticky board results
reflect the actual mite load in the colonies- which is that it is hard to
detect any. I am awaiting a reading from one of my mentees to see the mite
load on his overwintered bees and also his packages.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine