Date:
Fri, 14 May 2010 07:42:11 -0600
After spot sampling around 20,000 hives this past week, I can report that
rumours of the impending death of the honeybee appear to be greatly
exaggerated, at least up here in the Great White North.

From what we see, most operations in Alberta have wintered well and are in
top shape.  The bees look really good.

On the surface, it appears that intensive and coordinated monitoring and
treatment has paid off.

Feeding fumagillin proactively and knocking varroa levels down and holding
them in the 1% (phoretic) range has apparently returned success rates to the
normal range after several years of unacceptably high losses over winter,
followed by poor bees in spring.

A few beekeepers who have not been vigilant and proactive have experienced
much more variable success, with a few losses as high as 70% -- and they,
sadly, serve as controls of a sort.

FWIW.