Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:44:10 -0500
> Please keep in mind that sucrose is digested into 50:50 glucose and
> fructose.
>
> High fructose type 55 corn syrup is 55% fructose to about 45% glucose, so
> not much different.
>
> I'm NOT saying that HFCS is good for bees, just setting some chemistry
> straight!

The key here is that, for both bee and man, not all sucrose is broken down.
With humans the body regulates it so you do not get too much of either sugar
which can lead to serious problems. With the bee, a lot has to do with time
as to the breakdown.

With HFCS, you bypass nature. Lots of good studies on the problems with HFCS
and the human diet. The counter argument by the Corn lobby is that sucrose
and HFCS have the same number of calories so they are exactly the same in
our diet. The problem is in the process. High glucose and fructose levels in
the body lead to obesity and may have long term biological effects.

My guess is, in the near future, HFCS in foods and drink will be regulated
because of health reasons. Will open up a new avenue for lawyers with
tobacco out of the picture. If you check some juice drinks (like Ocean
Spray), they already are touting "No HFCS".

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine