From:
Vivian Donahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:00:32 -0400
Tim, it is what I have done for about 5 years, and I haven't had any
trouble like that. Aamof, since my bees are for my "entertainment", I
sometimes stand over them (no veil) and will use twigs to lift out "stuck"
bees during cleanup duty.  I live in a very urban area. (Neighbors garden
is 5 feet from my hives.) Others might have different experiences, or maybe
I've been lucky, but I've had no trouble, and no honey is wasted.  I do put
the extracted supers back on the hives for cleanup, but more for efficiency
for the bees and to make sure the hive I want the most return to gets it.
Of course, hives being 15-20 feet from my back door gives me more
monitoring ability than most beekeepers may have.

In addition, for the last few years as a routine matter, I staple wire
across half the entrance to my hives during any long lulls in honey flows
to help hives defend their entrance without inhibiting air flow. It seems
to really cut down on any robbing activity.  There are a number of yellow
jacket colonys around here every year, and this seems to help the bees cope.
Vivian