From:
"Conrad A. Berube" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 07:14:45 -0800
>... Deadly Invasion: The Killer Bee Nightmare, will be aired Tuesday
>night, March 7, on the Fox network. I hear that Norman Gary served as the
>technical advisor, so maybe the movie will present more accurate
>information and less exaggeration than have some similar potboilers in
>the past.

I doubt it.  Norm doesn't have creative control over the films, he's just
the bee-jockey (and sometimes extra-- he was the guy driving the tractor
that got "killed" by a hat-full of bees in some other B-movie, I think it
was "The Swarm").  Can't say that I'd pass up the big consulting fees,
either, even if they were making "Bees: The Most Horrible Little Varmints
You Could Possibly Imagine".  But it is a shame that a lot of people are
likely to believe the crap that this flick is likely going to perpetuate.

I worked with African(ized) honeybees in Ecuador, Guatemala and Paraguay
and society as a whole was not greatly impacted by the "killer bee invasion".
There were, of course, pros and cons to the dynamic of the surplanting of
bee-stock but, in the subtropics at least, I think the introduction of the
bees has been a boon (note the long-term increase in net productivity--
such as the (eventual) doubling of honey production in Brazil compared
to pre-AHB levels-- in those countries with the AHB).

Conrad