From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:50:39 -0500
I came to many of the conclusions that Blane had, that honey should not be
singled out.

However, I now agree that we should not give infants less than a year old
any honey. The reason is that studies of randomly acquired samples of honey
had botulism spores in most of the samples. This also agrees with the study
which said that Botulism spores are fairly pervasive in all foods,
including honey. For anyone over one year, the digestive tract handles the
spores with little difficulty.

The key here is risk. Some infants below one year cannot handle Botulism
spores. Most can. Botulism is in many honeys. So why not wait until they
are one when the risk is eliminated? And that includes all home prepared
foods.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME