Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:41:16 -0500
>> beekeepers know that bees build up differently in differently shaped,
>> ventilated and insulated cavities, especially in cool weather
>
> Allen, I find this discussion very interesting!  I'm curious about the
>above observation--I am not one of those beekeepers who have noticed

I'll try to get around to it.  I assumed everyone knew that and hardly know where to begin. I think it has to do with what a person calls "cool".

I sure got taught that lesson again this summer when we had a cool, damp summer and I went away leaving three and four-frame splits in the bottom storey of doubles, assuming they would grow like in a normal year.  It seems they stayed clustered much of the summer, judging by where they drerw comb and burr comb.  In less space or even on top, they would have done much differently.

I had made that same sort of mistake one year back a ways, setting supers back for extra ventilation just before a cool summer.  They were clustered much of the time and did not occupy the supers well.