From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 0101 16:25:40 GMT
> With the number of beekeepers shrinking, a recruitment
> effort might be a good idea.

    From Almond Pollination Handbook by Joe Traynor(a very good book to have if
you are involved with any kind of pollination)

    "A recruitment poster for apprentice beekeepers could read as follows:

        CHALLENGE YOURSELF!!BE A BEEKEEPER!!!
  Work outside-commune with nature,with the scent of flowers and the musical
hum of happy honey bees.

  Why pay to go to a gym and lift weights?We'll pay you to lift honey supers.No
charge for back supports;10% discount coupons at a local chiropractor.

  Live on the edge!Directly apply-by hand!-highly toxic chemicals that can
cause permanent physical and brain damage!Gloves and respirators provided at no
charge.

  Test your endurance-Work all day then drive a truck all night!Can you keep
the truck on the road??!!

  Sleep under the stars while waiting to unload a truck.In the winter,sleep in
the cozy comfort of a truck cab,accompanied by some of our winged workers.

  Get away from home.Statistics show that couples that are constantly together
argue more.Our job guarantees frequent seperations from your family!

  Lose weight!Forget about diets!We guarantee that taking honey off hives in
100 degree weather in full coveralls will give you that slim,trim figure.

  Learn about litigation.With the Africanized bees coming,be on the cutting
edge of lawsuits involving bee stings.
                       Just Do It!"

    I would add:
  Choose bees.Choose an apiary in bear country so you can see wildlife up close
as they destroy the equipment you spent all winter building using high interest
borrowed money.Choose to climb on top of a boom loader at 3 in the morning in a
lightning storm,a flashlite in your teeth,to find out why it raises but wont
lower.Choose innovative ways to get a loaded truck ,buried to the axle in
mud,unstuck.Choooose beeekeeeping!!Its fun!!!

Mike

This message was sent using InterStar WebMail