From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:56:20 -0400
>Using burlap, I kept the smoker going all day in a van, when I was doing
>state bee inspection. No smoke escaped from the bucket.

 Without air what kept the smoker lit?

A smoldering piece of burlap requires very little oxygen. In a five gallon bucket, I am sure there is enough air  to keep it smoldering for many hours, -- that has been my experience. The lid, though tight fitting, is not really air tight, in any case.

It's pretty clear that part timers and commercial operators have different smoke requirements. Even so, most of the commercial beekeepers I worked with used burlap. Often it can appear to be "out" but if you pull it out of the smoker and blow on the embers, it flares up and is ready to use again.

In San Diego, I never used anything but dry eucalyptus leaves. Around here, white pine needles make an excellent fuel, but you have to stay on top of collecting them while they are dry. I have several big white pines in my yard, but since its been raining for days, the pine needles are completely soaked.

IMHO, once you have used coffee sack, you never go back.