From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 18:15:15 +1200
>  No, the slit you cut into the zip-loc bag would limit the use to a
>one-time thing, but this technique is handy when you don't have the other
>feeding equipment available.

Though it has been a few years since I used plastic bags as an emergency
feeder for sugar syrup, I recall that I didn't actually slit the bag, but
rather poked a few holes in it.  Even just a few holes around on the surface
was enough to provide the feeding bees access.  But I guess a slash or two
would provide even faster conversion of the sugar syrup to stores.

The first article I ever wrote for a bee magazine described the construction
and use of a number of types of feeders, including the plastic bag.  It
mentions that the plastic bag was described in the August 1970 issue of the
NZ Beekeeper:

Doull, Keith M and Winn, R A, Waite Agricultural Research Institute,
Adelaide, S.A.  N Z Beekeeper, August 1970, pp 22-23.

By the looks of that article, it may have been a reprint from one of the
Australian bee magazines.  It refers to the method being developed in the
summer of 1964-65.

The article on feeding and feeders that I wrote is:

Wallingford, Nick.  To feed or not to feed.  NZ Beekeeper, Sept 1976, pp 13-16.

Headings include:
spring feeding
winter feeding
feeding dry sugar