From:
Joe Komperda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2023 15:32:02 +0000
 > ...a defensive colony, you can always capture and move just the offending field force.

It seems to have been described to me that the defensive bees are the guard bees who are inside the hive. They would not be part of the "field force". So, is the field force (assuming that is referring to the foragers) the real problem?

Understandably, if the guard bees are emitting defensive pheromones, I suspect some of the foragers may detour from their foraging runs to defend the hive. But wouldn't that be contrary to the thought that foragers are concentrating solely on bringing nectar/pollen into the hive?

Would removing most of the foraging force, as suggested here (if I understand the described action correctly), calm down the hive? The guard bees would still be in the hive after the described action so I would expect them to still be defensive...

Joe Komperda

Parker, CO

303.304.6459