Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 09:37:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
In Florida, Apiary statutes make it illegal to keep bee races that are undesirable. AHB are included.

>  "Why is it that in America, people must demonize honey bees so much,
>  even those of European genetics?"

I'd suggest folks who think AHB are being 'demonized' to do some internet research. Malcolm Sanford wrote in "Just say no to AHB" about Bill Vanderput's talk a few years ago to the Florida State Beekeepers Assoc about his experiences with keeping AHB in Texas. Injury, death and insurance settlements changed his view on AHB.

Also, just look at the multimillion dollar settlements paid out for bed bug infestations... an insect that spreads NO disease, causes no deaths, and effectively no injuries, other than hysteria.

Not much of a leap to imagine what will happen with those that keep AHB here in the U.S. I'd not be surprised if we see events similar to Vanderput's here in Florida. We have loads of new beekeepers doing structural colony&  swarm removals without any attempt to requeen. And from areas we ID as having 'mean bees'. It's just a matter of time before a sting incident occurs with them.

And, the public is clueless. I was nearly drawn&  quartered in the media last week for a feral eradication we performed, just miles away from an area where we routinely encounter MEAN ferals. C.Y.A. is my advice.

Richard Martyniak (tryin this again)

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2