Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:55:37 GMT
>>A couple of years ago I asked on the Irish List whether anybody had had a swarm occupy such a hive and the answer was 'Yes'.

They may be attracted to the hive smell.  On the other hand, I've removed many feral colonies and all their nest sites have been very protected shelters.  None with an open bottom. Having said this, I've seen pictures of colonies in the open under roof overhangs or tree branches.  I've always thought that unfavorable weather must have forced these swarms to stay put for a prolonged time and this led to the start of combs and egg laying.  Once larvae hatched, the bees must have been reluctant to abandon them. Waldemar