From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 10:46:13 -0600
> Juanse references deGroot, who I now see determined the essential a.a.
> requirements of bees in 1953. Is it the informed consensus that deGroots
> work on
> the requirements still stands?

I am no expert on the subject (maybe Randy or Allen will comment as they
both have mass amounts of information on the subject on their web sites) but
I believe that although many have tried to say DeGroots work is out dated
and not correct the *general* concesus is DeGroots work is for the most part
very accurate.

Jack Thomas has published parts of the Degroots research for years in his
bee magazine advertisements really putting the information in front of
beekeepers. jack really was the first pollen sub seller to promote a better
formula.

My personal test on the different pollen subs in the market found that ALL
work and little diference I found as far as brood rearing. I found the new
sub from the bee lab did better but not worth the extra investment. However
I have not tested since the cost has dropped (and formula mdified). Mann
Lakes  formula has also been modified since my testing.

None of the available subs contain the expensive powdered eggs most homemade
formulas used today use and for one simple reason that using the eggs would
drive the cost of the subs up. If all the makers of sub would add the eggs
and all raise their prices at the same time then eggs would be added but all
want to keep their prices in line with the others offering sub ( or at least
what I have been told privately when I asked why no eggs in sub)

I use the Dadant product the most  because I can pickup in Illinois (when in
illinois saving expensive shipping )and get good results or use the same
brewers yeast as California queen producers used when I can go in with other
beekeepers and buy in bulk and we can avoid shipping by picking up at the
plant in St. Louis, Missouri. Two of the commercial beekeepers I was going
in with have went out of business and I have reduced my hive numbers so
buying in bulk looks doutful in my future although I had excellent results
with the brewers yeast mixed with fresh pollen.

All pollen subs on the market work better in times of pollen dearth than
simply not providing what the bees need. Worth the time and money spent in
my opinion.

bob