From:
ANDY NACHBAUR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 17:15:00 GMT
Jerry J Bromenshenk
 wrote
 +-------------------------------+
###Subject:      Re: Varroa mite
###Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 1994 08:41:14 -0700
###
###Interesting observations - give me one more field season and I will tell
###you whether our field trials support your viewpoint.
###
###P.P.S. I will be very interested to see what kind of response your
###message gets from the List.
 +-------------------------------+

    Hi Jerry,

      I am using a 486-33 cpu, and the Wild Cat software for the bbs.

    I will be watching for your report or paper on mites. I have followed
the literature since day one, and find the v. mites a very interesting
study creature. So much of the negative effects of this mite has been
written it has replaced that "bad feeling in the gut" one use to get
when one had not visited a bee yard for several weeks and expected
to find them all dead from pesticide misuse. That was very common around
here for several years. So far, it has not been from real mites losses,
but I do get that "gut ache" when I go into a yard and find a few or
lots of dead hives, which is not uncommon as our bees suffer from many
thing, poor pasture being number one.

    I read early on about the dynamics of the v. mites, and have found
that to be the one true fact in my own experience. I am beginning to
believe that some hives tolerate mites more then others. These hives
may be the mother hives for the mites, and supply the seed for all the
other hives which may or may not tolerate them. The question may be
will the bees change in a few generations to accept many mites or
few mites?<G>

    I can report on what I have seen, what it means is open to
interpretation by all. I have seen every bad symptom reputed to
be caused by mites, prior to the movement of v. to honey bees. I
have also seen the proofs of heavy mite infestation, bees, queens,
and all brood having mites. Combs that mites and mite fracas could
be bounced out. And these have been the exception, not the rule.
But I have yet to see a healthy hive with mites "crash"..

    I have neighbors who have lost large numbers of hives from
what they think were v. mites. One is the largest producer in
California and my good friend with whom I was able to check some
of these yards several months prior to their death. It was true they
had v. mites, I believe they died. He believes they died from mites and
now treats, he still has loss, and mites. I don't know if mites caused
or contributed to the loss of the hives I looked at. If these same
hives did not have mites at the time I looked at them I would have
predicted that they would have died.

    After 40 seasons in a poor area for bees, pesticides, droughts,
over crowding, and you name it, I have found that keeping bees is
fraught with disaster. It was a lot easier in the old days to blame
AFB in my hives on my neighbors. Now it is easy to point the finger
of disaster at one flavor of mites or another. I do believe that there
is a bogeyman out there in my bees, but I don't think its been properly
identified or something we can do much about but keep replacing our
losses.
                       ttul Andy-