From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:45:33 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Is there anyone using the "set-down" (?) method of removing bees from supers
> on a large scale?
>
> I know there is someone with a fairly large operation in Canada who pulls
> supers and sets them on the ground overnight to remove the bees.
>
> I am interested in the learning the finer points of this technique if it is
> practical.
Hello Cesar,
We used to use the technigue quite a bit when we pulled supers in late
fall. Grab supers off and carry about 20 feet away and sit on end. If
honey is sealed and getting dark the bees leave the supers to return to
hives. Similar to opening the honey house door and letting the bees
return to the hives at night.  We never would use the technique if
there was unsealed honey in supers as robbing allways started. In cooler
weather the fume boards are slow so when we thought everything was
perfect we would use the method.  I prefer the fume boards as i have had
robbing start. Then we pull all lids and usually will stop enough
robbing to load the supers. We use "Bee go" in Missouri but my northern
friends say "honey robber" will work better than "bee go" in colder
temps. I have never used "honey robber" so can't say if they are
correct. Maybe other bee-L readers can help?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison