From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:54:38 -0400
>Make sure the candy excape tube is on top so that any dead attendants won't
block the exit of the queen.

This is one of those things that gets discussed endlessly, like "do you
remove the attendants from the cage?" (if there are any)

If the candy end is down, dead attendants could block the opening. If the
candy end is up, the candy could melt and get all over the queen. I usually
put it horizontally, so neither one would happen.

Oh, and I don't think it makes any difference whether you let the attendants
out. But if you are going to mark the queen, I would certainly let them out.

Also, those bees in the battery aren't very important. Queens can live for
several days without attendants, if they are warm and have food.

pb