From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:36:34 -0500
Michael B, near Albany, wonders about using comb from a hive that died and
asks "Am
I being anal by wanting them to be super clean?  There is dark residue left
over on the frames, and I am wondering just how picky the bees will be."

Michael, the answer to your question is "yes".

The bees almost certainly died due to an infestation of varroa mites, which
are no longer on your empty combs.  The new bees will clean up your comb
without any difficulty!

There is a reasonably active bee club in your area, that meets in Ballston
Spa the third Monday of alternative months.  I suggest you join, as
discussion with other beekeepers can help a lot.  You can also contact their
President to be put on a mailing list.  I work a short distance from Scotia
and would be glad to help further.  If you have any interest please email me
privately.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com