From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 06:26:57 -0600
> While
> commercial beekeepers extract into 2500 gallon holding tanks which
> blend everything together the backyard beekeeper can do a two frames
> extraction.

These are two points I missed making in my reply last night.  By
blending honey from numerous sources in large tanks and large lots, the
concentrations of any poisons, whether natural, like poisonous nectars,
or manmade, like pesticides, is drastically lowered compared to the
realatively high levels that might be in one or two frames of honey
collected and extracted separately. By blending, commercial channels
increase the probability of some unwanted substance being found in the
product, but at the same time vastly increase the liklihood that any
such toxin will be far below dangerous levels.

and

>... Sealing your hive with a screen to keep them from
> gathering poison honey, confederate jasmine, or when the area has
>        been sprayed for bugs.

These are remedies that are available to backlot beekeepers that are not
practical for commercial producers.  Commercial producers generally just
stay away from such hazards.  Even so, the above quote highlights some
hazards that threaten consumers of small lots can that are not probable
in blended commercial product.

I found it interesting that some respondants thought that I could
somehow make judgments of their personal output, when I don't know them,
or their level of competence.  I was simply making a comment about the
probabilities.  Although I can say for sure that there are some
dangerous people out there, I cannot begin to say who they are without
knowing the details of their locale, their methods and their equipment.
The goal of my article was simply to stimulate consciousness on the
question and to provoke thought.  It is up to each and every beekeeper
to analyse his or her methods and decide for him or herself.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com