From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:45:20 -0700
> Bill said:
> The discussion is about bee breeding and the intent of that breeding
> includes the survival of the bee as well as reproduction and a stable
> population as a consequence. A very harmonious relationship with no
> differing interests..

I agree wholeheartedly!  I simply want a bee that is well adapted for my
area, and that takes the least input from me, in general.
That said, I'm willing to help those bees a bit, since my area is a virtual
desert (as far as bees are concerned) from July 1 until after the winter
solstice.  So I move some to better pasture, or provide them with a bit of
feed.  If I were a stationary beekeeper, not gaining my main income from
almond pollination, my selection criteria would be slightly different, and
would include breeding for survival during the local dearth.

The analogy might be with a cattle rancher, who chooses a well-adapted stock
of cattle, yet feeds them during drought.

Randy Oliver