From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:52:29 -0500
This spring, I did a presentation on pollen and nectar sources of this area (Upstate NY). As I was preparing it, it quickly became apparent that many of our best plants are non-natives and/or invasive species.

As beekeepers, we may find ourselves at odds with many "special interest" groups. In this case, many of our favorite plants are on the Invasive Species Hit List.

I always chuckle because both honey bees and humans of European descent are non-natives to this region, and all humans tend to be invasive at times. But I digress.

Try encouraging the planting of high quality native nectar and pollen sources! But then, you will of course be at odds with farmers and lawn owners, who hate weeds.

Happy New Year!

Pete